Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You are special.

Do you remember the book, You are special, by Max Lucado? {I would reccomend reading this right now, because it is a wonderful story}




This has been really relevant to me as of late. I've been thinking about it all week. Since Thursday. Remember, the Wemmicks? Punchinello was the main character. They got stars for being graceful, talented, and beautiful, and dots for being clumsy, boring, and ugly. My problem lately isn't that people have been giving me marks, but more that I've been marking up myself. Mostly with dots. There's a paragraph that introduces a new character, 

One day Punchinello met a Wemmick who was unlike any he'd ever met. She had no dots or stars. She was just wooden and clean. Her name was Lucia. It wasn't that people didn't try to give her stickers; it's just that the stickers didn't stick. Some admired Lucia for having no dots, so they would run up and give her a star. But it would fall off. Some would look down on her for having no stars, so they would give her a dot. But it wouldn't stay either. Punchinello was amazed, he wanted to be like her, without any stickers.

Like Punchinello, I don't want any stickers. I want to un-stick them. Lucia tells Punchinello that she visits Eli, and when she visits him, he helps her. Punchinello gets the courage to visit Eli and Eli notices Punchinello's bad marks. Naturally, the Wemmick feels sorry, and like he needs to explain. 

Eli says, "Oh, you don't have to defend yourself to me, child. I don't care what the other Wemmicks think."

"You don't?" 

“No, and you shouldn't either. Who are they to give stars or dots? They're Wemmicks just like you. What they think doesn't matter, Punchinello. All that matters is what I think. And I think you are pretty special."

Wow. This made me realize, because some of my main dots have been about my body lately, that I should never exercise to become more skinny; to look better. How I look doesn't matter. (This is where I have the internal battle, "Yes it does! No it doesn't! Well, It does, because you'll be more aproachable! NO, it really DOESN'T" Ugh. It makes me sick, it goes on and on. It's been six days of this now. But I am finally reaching my conclusion.)

It DOESN'T matter. I need to take care of myself because I AM A CHILD OF GOD. When I keep myself clean, and healthy, I am taking care of a gift from Him. Not only am I taking care of a precious gift, but I feel good. I feel so good when I exercise. I feel so good when I eat well. Sure, I'll look good when I keep myself healthy, but it doesn't matter how I look. What matters is that I will be doing my best. I will be taking care of myself so that I may be able to do whatever God would have me do. I am taking care of myself because I matter to Him. And that is all that matters. 

So: from here on out, I will exercise and eat well because I am taking care of a precious gift, and when I do, I feel great; never again to look good, because that is destructive to me.

Punchinello learned that what the other Wemmicks thought didn't matter, only what Eli thought matters.

Eli finishes:
"The stickers only stick if they matter to you. The more you trust my love, the less you care about the stickers."

"I'm not sure I understand."

"You will, but it will take time. You've got a lot of marks. For now, just come to see me every day and let me remind you how much I care." Eli lifted Punchinello off the bench and set him on the ground. "Remember," Eli said as the Wemmick walked out the door. "You are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes."

I know he really means it. I am special because God made me, and He doesn't make mistakes. I need to make His thoughts my thoughts and see myself as the Savior sees me. 
I. am. special.


1 comment:

  1. Yes.you.are. And pretty. and nice. and wonderful. and fun.

    ReplyDelete